It can be a daunting task setting up and running an apiary.
Here are some tips for getting started right.
10 Tips for urban beekeepers
1. Check your local Bylaws to see if there are any restrictions
2. Keep a small number of hives, 3-5 colonies is manageable in a small space
3. Locate hives in a sunny, well drained area, preferably out of sight of neighbours or passers-by
4. Think about your neighbours and face hive entrance towards a fence or bush to force bees to fly up as they exit
5. Provide water so bees don't seek it from your neighbour's pool - a shallow bird bath or water feature works well
6. Plant a Plants for Bees with blooms for different seasons
7. Learn to recognise Honey Bee Diseases and Pests
8. Manage spring build up so the colony does not produce any Swarms
9. Register your colonies with the province/state apiculture department
10. Join one of the beekeeper Associations in your area and participate in a training course.
Want to learn more?
Consider further education online or through beekeeper Training
Visit Alberta Agriculture site for good info on beginning in bees.
View "How To" videos on a variety of topics, produced by Honey Bee Research Centre, University of Guelph
The Quebec government (MAPAQ) provides attractively presented excellent information Apiculture Citadine (in French)